Skip to main content

Mem'ries

They really are like the beautiful song Barbra Streisand made famous.  Oh, Oh, mem'ries.... (insert music note emoticons here).  They may be beautiful and yet.  Misty, water colored mem'ries.  You know the words...

I was given this unique piece of artwork a couple of years ago.  I had recently started dating her son and we had personally met, though she lived over a thousand miles away.  She mailed it to him to give to me.  Maybe I had impressed her as the type of someone who might like a piece of her personally hand made artwork?  A work of art that she had personally made.

The first home my ex and I had purchased was a 700sf war box in West Seattle.  Back in those days we didn't take photos of ourselves and our surroundings every step we took.  Taking pictures happened when we remembered to bring the camera.  Carrying around your Nikon like a purse wasn't the norm.

It was a cute little house that sat perched up off the street; there were 23 cracking concrete steps from the sidewalk up to the front door.  Overgrown ferns & dark green vines cascaded down the five foot high concrete cinder block wall that held the hill up.  It was what we could afford at the time and it had potential.  Unfortunately, we didn’t have extra dough for “potential” and he wasn't very interested in that sort of thing anyway.  What made me love this little castle was a little potting shed up in the back yard.  It was the original She-Shed.

She was all of maybe eight feet wide by twelve feet deep.  Her color was not the same as the house - unless you count the trim color and the mossy, greyish-black weather worn asphalt shingles on the roof.  An old mullioned window was peeling its long ago fresh white paint. The door, with its rain spotted window, barely closed so it always remained somewhat open despite the typical Pacific Northwest weather.  There was a narrow dirt path littered with pine needles and tree roots and 45 year old pine trees up the steep slope to where she was.  The first time I walked in there were cobwebs right inside the doorway.  To the left of the door was an old wooden topped workbench with a couple of typical ceramic pots sitting on it with dirt still surrounding them as if the potter had just left moments prior.

Artwork and photographs can be like the scattered pictures Barbra so exquisitely sings about. As suddenly as a flash from a bolt of lightning I was walking up that path with my paints, paper and pencils to just hang out and create.  No laptop computer back then. Not even a cell phone. ( I know!  Crazy, right?!)  This amazing piece of art, that was gifted to me from someone I hardly knew, reminded me of all that and then made me think about all of the learning, reaching and growing I've done since then.

Happy for the memories, LOVE the artwork.
Realize that the best time is NOW!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's a little bit country. She's a little bit rock 'n' roll

I bought this piece from a guy named Jake. I saw it advertised and loved it, so I called him right away to inquire and we spoke about it for a few minutes.  He owns a bike repair shop in Denver and didn't have the space for it anymore - I texted him the next day and what turned out to be the day after to reiterate my intentions.  I really wanted it, but wasn't able to get up there till later in the week... would he hold it for me?  Turns out I wasn't able to pick it up at all... and a week or two passed.  Fortunately for me, when I texted him again, apologizing for my absence..and, was it still available, he said yes.    I was really attracted to it's Mid-century modern shape.  Jake (a cool, young dude with tattoos, a wild head of hair and a bushy beard) told Russ (who so kindly picked it up for me on his way home from work) that he had "painted it black a few years ago" as they worked together to load it into the truck.  The thing is heavy...

Re- Purposeful

  One of my recent projects has been a new frame for a gorgeous hand painted watercolor I bought when in Yuma for Christmas.  My "Mom" (and friend), the fun and adorable Doris and I did a little shopping and had a blast!  We were just out and about looking for "stuff"... I've been a closet junk shopper for a few decades now...    I guess I first started hunting on my own when I was in my first year at WSU; around that time my friend Jackie introduced me to a gal who lived on her dorm floor.  Her friend Jennifer collected vintage dresses and I recall thinking it was an interesting but odd thing to collect.  I definitely didn't like the idea of wanting a closet full of musty old dresses... but I also remember the pride she had while showing off her marvelous collection.  She told me she found her dresses at thrift stores and Estate sales.  Hmmm! I rem...

The Psychology of the Fast Lane

Our world is taking us on a ride in the fast lane.  Everything is a blur.  We are in such a hurry to get to our destination that we don’t even take the time to look at the passing roadside anymore.  We are in a race to get “there”, but really, where are we heading? A lot of times we get on the road and head right over to that left hand lane, even if we can’t get up to the required speed.  Unknowingly, we slow down those behind us.  It might be the lane that we think we want to be in; the lane we deserve to be in (?) without realizing what is expected while there?  Perhaps those pages in the instruction manual were missing when we were handed the book?  Not sure if life comes with an instruction manual?  We probably didn’t all read the same book anyway? Over time, we learn the rules.  Do we have what it takes?  Would it be easier to avoid it all together?  In general, we are all capable of being there, but we need to kn...