Skip to main content
Luckily this house had been winterized.  Still, when you see a pile of snow inside a house and know that it is blowing in through the door jamb it's a little disheartening.  We really didn't have to think about anything though, we asked Jacquie to start writing up paperwork.  She called that night and said it was all ready to go. 
The house had been in foreclosure and abandoned (according to the neighbors) for four years... the price drop was attracting some attention so we knew we had to move quickly to secure it.  My (ex) husband had been an "entrepreneur" for many years and I will leave it at that.  My job at the time was what qualified us and got us in.  Inspections revealed a few things that needed to be done, and actually, with so much snow still on the roof and around the property there was no real exterior inspection done.  We had a Registered Geologist/Hydrogeologist come out as well.  There was a crack in the well cover, that had to be replaced immediately.  We had her do a full flush before moving in to ensure that the water was sanitary.
The real estate market was getting a little volatile at this time.  We wanted to sell the home we currently lived in, the one we moved into when we moved to Colorado, but it was winter in Colorado.  Not many people are looking to buy or sell at that time of year.  Years before he had decided we needed the bigger house down the street.  I was a stay-at-home mom at the time and did not agree because I was offering no financial help.  We ended up getting that big, horrible house and the home we were living in was not sold for several months - which meant double mortgage payments.  If this has ever been a circumstance in your life, you know how quickly any savings you might have could dwindle very, very quickly.  Anyway, that time in our lives came quickly back to mind.  I was nervous about it happening again, so agreed that we would rent the house for a bit... a bit turning into years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's a little bit country. She's a little bit rock 'n' roll

I bought this piece from a guy named Jake. I saw it advertised and loved it, so I called him right away to inquire and we spoke about it for a few minutes.  He owns a bike repair shop in Denver and didn't have the space for it anymore - I texted him the next day and what turned out to be the day after to reiterate my intentions.  I really wanted it, but wasn't able to get up there till later in the week... would he hold it for me?  Turns out I wasn't able to pick it up at all... and a week or two passed.  Fortunately for me, when I texted him again, apologizing for my absence..and, was it still available, he said yes.    I was really attracted to it's Mid-century modern shape.  Jake (a cool, young dude with tattoos, a wild head of hair and a bushy beard) told Russ (who so kindly picked it up for me on his way home from work) that he had "painted it black a few years ago" as they worked together to load it into the truck.  The thing is heavy...

Re- Purposeful

  One of my recent projects has been a new frame for a gorgeous hand painted watercolor I bought when in Yuma for Christmas.  My "Mom" (and friend), the fun and adorable Doris and I did a little shopping and had a blast!  We were just out and about looking for "stuff"... I've been a closet junk shopper for a few decades now...    I guess I first started hunting on my own when I was in my first year at WSU; around that time my friend Jackie introduced me to a gal who lived on her dorm floor.  Her friend Jennifer collected vintage dresses and I recall thinking it was an interesting but odd thing to collect.  I definitely didn't like the idea of wanting a closet full of musty old dresses... but I also remember the pride she had while showing off her marvelous collection.  She told me she found her dresses at thrift stores and Estate sales.  Hmmm! I rem...

The Psychology of the Fast Lane

Our world is taking us on a ride in the fast lane.  Everything is a blur.  We are in such a hurry to get to our destination that we don’t even take the time to look at the passing roadside anymore.  We are in a race to get “there”, but really, where are we heading? A lot of times we get on the road and head right over to that left hand lane, even if we can’t get up to the required speed.  Unknowingly, we slow down those behind us.  It might be the lane that we think we want to be in; the lane we deserve to be in (?) without realizing what is expected while there?  Perhaps those pages in the instruction manual were missing when we were handed the book?  Not sure if life comes with an instruction manual?  We probably didn’t all read the same book anyway? Over time, we learn the rules.  Do we have what it takes?  Would it be easier to avoid it all together?  In general, we are all capable of being there, but we need to kn...