Skip to main content

Starting Out - The Adventures of Marvin and Mavis Magpie - Chapter 2


They had just spent their first real night in the new place, the one they had built together.  It was a great starter nest!  They had worked side by side to find the perfect twigs and tufts of winter grass to stitch it all together just right.  There were no adornments, just a nice roof over their heads, and it would most definitely survive the typical spring and summer time weather a neighborhood at 7200 feet could expect!

As the sun began to rise behind the gloomy clouds and morning showers, the slight breeze swayed their high rise just a bit and Marvin whispered,
     "Nothing to be alarmed about, Mavis, trees of this size will shimmy and shake, especially this far up from the ground!"
     "Mamma always told me there was no time for worry" Mavis replied, "besides, it's time to get up and get going with our day!"
     "Yes!  Indeed it is my fine lady" Marvin smiled and with that headed toward the door to go find something to eat.

As the day pushed on the breeze became a wind, and that wind shook the tree, which shook their nest.  "No need to worry" Mavis thought as she busily jabbed and poked at the walls of their place.  Marvin, her one and only, was still out and about.  "He'll be back and the breeze may soon pass" she told herself as she continued to pinch and prod. As she looked out the front window, she noticed that the clouds were starting to puff up.  There was still a lot of blue sky, but the puff balls were moving closer and closer together.  Before too much longer the blue sky was completely overtaken by shades of grey and the slight breeze that had become a wind was taking on a very cool cast.

Meanwhile, Marvin flew about searching for something to bring home to his love.  They were all done with the construction phase of their home, today was about finding food.  Mavis continued to keep her mind occupied until Marvin eventually returned.
     "Back in Grandpa's time there wasn't as much competition for food" Marvin exclaimed as he hopped into the nest.  "Or maybe everyone just lived at a slower pace back then?  Nonetheless, I found something extra special for you, my dear" and presented her with a big, fat, delectable worm.
     "Oh, Marvy!  You're better than the best!" Mavis blushed as she told him all about her windy day, and, as usual, their conversation lasted while the cloudy sky turned white and snow flakes began to fall.

Knowing that their day was coming to an end they settled down and cuddled up, reflecting on everything they were grateful for.  Tomorrow would be here soon enough and with it would be another grand adventure to experience, together!

Sweet dreams, Magpies!

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's a little bit country. She's a little bit rock 'n' roll

I bought this piece from a guy named Jake. I saw it advertised and loved it, so I called him right away to inquire and we spoke about it for a few minutes.  He owns a bike repair shop in Denver and didn't have the space for it anymore - I texted him the next day and what turned out to be the day after to reiterate my intentions.  I really wanted it, but wasn't able to get up there till later in the week... would he hold it for me?  Turns out I wasn't able to pick it up at all... and a week or two passed.  Fortunately for me, when I texted him again, apologizing for my absence..and, was it still available, he said yes.    I was really attracted to it's Mid-century modern shape.  Jake (a cool, young dude with tattoos, a wild head of hair and a bushy beard) told Russ (who so kindly picked it up for me on his way home from work) that he had "painted it black a few years ago" as they worked together to load it into the truck.  The thing is heavy...

Re- Purposeful

  One of my recent projects has been a new frame for a gorgeous hand painted watercolor I bought when in Yuma for Christmas.  My "Mom" (and friend), the fun and adorable Doris and I did a little shopping and had a blast!  We were just out and about looking for "stuff"... I've been a closet junk shopper for a few decades now...    I guess I first started hunting on my own when I was in my first year at WSU; around that time my friend Jackie introduced me to a gal who lived on her dorm floor.  Her friend Jennifer collected vintage dresses and I recall thinking it was an interesting but odd thing to collect.  I definitely didn't like the idea of wanting a closet full of musty old dresses... but I also remember the pride she had while showing off her marvelous collection.  She told me she found her dresses at thrift stores and Estate sales.  Hmmm! I rem...

The Embracing of Change...

This has become my Signature quote.  It became such after one of the gals in District, who has really been implementing her learnings out in the real world and as a result, has been exploding her business (in an awesome, incredible, eye opening, jaw dropping way), told me that it was really inspiring, she completely believed it and absolutely loved it!   In my position, I help others to learn how to run their own small businesses.  I've been believing in, nurturing, empowering and encouraging others to pursue their dreams by being their own boss so that they can work when, where & how they want.  After all, that's pretty much the ultimate American dream, isn't it?!  The thinking goes something like: if you work for yourself you'll love what you do, you'll work hard, you'll reap what you sow... right?  Most importantly, you won't have to be chained to the Company's desk, calendar, agenda, program, ho...