Skip to main content
There was a bay window in the dining room area and one at the front of the house.  One of the tired wooden single pane windows didn't even close all the way - so, cold air seeped in.  The deck of both bay windows had wood on it that had been stained and restained and varathaned - it was also warped and peeling from the sun and we could feel the cold coming in through the cracks of the trim. 
The old and outdated theme of gold light fixtures continued in the master bedroom and the other two bedrooms upstairs as well.  The light fixtures in the bedrooms were especially horrible, with three glass lights that looked like they would be something Aunt Mae from The Andy Griffith Show would have chosen. 
The master bedroom was large and my visions of what I could do with the room were already formulating.  It had an odd shaped walk in closet that was not big enough for two people to stand in at the same time.  There were 29" x 24" shelves up one half of one wall and a single rod across the other 4' wall.  The center of the closet was 29" and had a rod on top and bottom.  The silly gold light fixture out in the hallway and at the garage door was, again, present.  The bathroom was a single (oak) vanity and again, hardly room enough for two people to function. 
The bathroom in the hallway - between the two additional bedrooms, had a pretty hand painted basin but the gold faucet was well used and looked a little rusty.  The hot water handle was right next to the faucet and the cold water handle was about 9" away - very odd.  The sink was at least 6" back - and they had forgotten to frame into the studs for the tri-mirror cabinet, so it sat out the 5" depth which made the sink seem all the more misplaced on the tile counter.  They used 6" grey colored tile and a single row (which went horizontally) of light blue accent tile which had nothing to do with the deep sea green colors painted on the basin. 
The tub/shower tile in both bathrooms: oh my, my, my.  Unfortunately, I think the philosophy of the man/family who built it was: what the hell have we gotten into - we don't have any more money to finish this damn house, so we're going to have to get whatever costs the least so that we can get this thing done...  The 4" glossy tile had a "design" underneath the shower head - perhaps they worked for the Red Cross? - the design being what looked like the Red Cross cross... and they did it with 2" maroon-red tiles - and used LOTS of grout around it because it did not fit at all.  These same 2" tiles went up and down vertically the sides of the tub - and then, since there was extra grout they just slapped that in to finish up.
We continued our tour down to the basement.  There was a great big laundry room with a utility sink, but it was completely unfinished.  The cement slabbed basement floor had carpet pad, but no carpet throughout.  There were two decent sized bedrooms that both had window welled windows - definitley no view, but sunlight.  The bathroom at the end of the hallway - yikes.  The single oak vanity - same as the one in the master bathroom (because I'm venturing to guess they found them at the Buy One Get One sale - sat in the corner and the room was lit with a single bulb - no more money for fixtures, just the bulb would do. 
There were two other rooms down here as well as space under the stairs for storage.  The walk out door in the basement was in desperate need of some help, too - there was a pile of snow seeping in...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  

Unexpected Neighbors - Chapter 1

We got some new neighbors this year.    "This isn't really their hood" I thought as he shooed them away.  The first time was out in the east grove, right when you come around the corner.  They were tucked in toward the house, so passersby on the road may not have noticed, but we did. A few days later they were back, it is Springtime after all.  Not in the exact location, but a few trees over.  Those darn magpies!  The next morning they returned to find chaos instead of their finely woven structure, but they were determined that this was the place - only to be foiled once again. We didn't see them for a few days, but then one morning there they were, out there talking.  How could all of their hard work keep tumbling down?  They hadn't noticed it to be too windy when they'd left the night before?  They hadn't seen any creatures lurking about that would create such havoc! A few mornings later they arrived for yet another visit.   Being very persi