Skip to main content

That Empowering Women Piece

After the market crashed in 2007, my career in interior designer took a nosedive - I had to find a job that would help us survive.  I got into territory management so that I could continue to provide my family with health insurance but eventually tired of constant travel within my multi-state demographic, which is how I came to work for a major worldwide beauty company that would change my life forever.

What I liked most about the advertisement regarding the position was what I read in the job description.  There was an official title, but it was the words "empowering women" that really captured my heart.  I was living in Testosterone World raising my boys (with my ex, who could also be considered a boy) and in need of some sisterly love.  The job was to empower small, independent business owning women to believe that Yes they can!!  My job was to nudge them to be confident, courageous and independent!  I could do that!  But could I?

We live in a tough world.  We live in a world that can be ugly, defeating and deceitful.  We live in a world that expects perfection - and IF you are "not", then I guess you are food for wolves?  Being far from perfect myself, I think that we are what we perceive ourselves to be.  I may not be tall and slender or have the smarts to build a skyscraper or the guts to climb to the top of one, but what I do have (and I have to remind myself of this each and every day) are qualities that perhaps others wish they had?  We certainly ALL have something that sets us apart from our compatriots.  We ALL have at least ONE thing that makes us feel proud... that perhaps we could (maybe?! .. possibly?!) boast about if given the opportunity?  That is what I concentrated on finding out about these individuals that I was hired to work for as I set out into my new world with The Company.

Empowering others to see their strengths is empowering - no other way to say it!  One thing I discovered in my years of empowering was just that; that by believing in others and seeing what they CANNOT see in themselves is an incredible way to recognize something amazing in yourself!  Telling someone they "have what it takes" will permeate into your own blood stream!  It will inject itself into YOU and slowly but surely the miraculous transformation will begin!

So... if you haven't tried it recently or need a nudge to go in a different direction, just remember the famous quote by George Eliot, "it is never too late to be what you might have been"...

Until next time...
S.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  

Unexpected Neighbors - Chapter 1

We got some new neighbors this year.    "This isn't really their hood" I thought as he shooed them away.  The first time was out in the east grove, right when you come around the corner.  They were tucked in toward the house, so passersby on the road may not have noticed, but we did. A few days later they were back, it is Springtime after all.  Not in the exact location, but a few trees over.  Those darn magpies!  The next morning they returned to find chaos instead of their finely woven structure, but they were determined that this was the place - only to be foiled once again. We didn't see them for a few days, but then one morning there they were, out there talking.  How could all of their hard work keep tumbling down?  They hadn't noticed it to be too windy when they'd left the night before?  They hadn't seen any creatures lurking about that would create such havoc! A few mornings later they arrived for yet another visit.   Being very persi