Skip to main content

All You Need is Love?

"Whatever your heart desires" she overheard a man say as she stepped out of the elevator after work that night.  She didn't look around to see who had said it or to whom the words were being spoken to, she just kept moving forward.  What was it that her heart desired? she wondered as she walked out the front door of the building and into the brisk twilight toward her car.  In her younger years there had always been a desire for something; some certain, but unspecified thing.

Looking out into the dark, starry night as Mr. Moon started to come up over the other buildings and cast a soft champagne glow on the city, she turned the headlights on, backed up and started her trek home.  There was a little twinkle here and there as the sky started turning midnight blue and enveloped her surroundings the further away from work she drove.  After a day like today, a tranquil evening was definitely needed - she desired that; an evening to reflect on the days events with a nice glass of wine and a light dinner with her sweetie pies.

Why is there always too much but never enough? she wondered as her drive continued into the inky blackness.  When does enough actually become enough? she thought as she looked down briefly to turn up the radio in order to drown the man's words out of her head.  She needed to concentrate as she approached the last few miles toward home and mindless music might do the trick?  Happiness can't actually be bought she surmised as thoughts continued to race through her brain and turned to her coworker Lucinda, or Lulu, as the girl had told everyone she liked to be called.  Each and every day Lulu came into the office wearing the latest fashions and accessories.  She drove a luxury car that was always shiny and clean.  She was a smart gal, always did a great job, but there was something missing with her.  She was definitely trying to impress everyone, that was for sure, but she never actually seemed satisfied with any of it.  What was that all about? 

Turning that last corner, she mused to herself as she realized that what she wanted wasn't a designer purse, a fancy house or a super speedy car.  She just wanted to be loved and feel needed for who she was and as she was.  All the money in the world won't buy happiness, self respect or true friends she concluded as she pulled into the driveway and finally walked in the door.  As they all came racing to welcome her home with open arms, she knew this was all her heart desired.  And it was good.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  

Unexpected Neighbors - Chapter 1

We got some new neighbors this year.    "This isn't really their hood" I thought as he shooed them away.  The first time was out in the east grove, right when you come around the corner.  They were tucked in toward the house, so passersby on the road may not have noticed, but we did. A few days later they were back, it is Springtime after all.  Not in the exact location, but a few trees over.  Those darn magpies!  The next morning they returned to find chaos instead of their finely woven structure, but they were determined that this was the place - only to be foiled once again. We didn't see them for a few days, but then one morning there they were, out there talking.  How could all of their hard work keep tumbling down?  They hadn't noticed it to be too windy when they'd left the night before?  They hadn't seen any creatures lurking about that would create such havoc! A few mornings later they arrived for yet another visit.   Being very persi