Skip to main content

The Garnished Stick


I am one of those people who picks stuff up off the ground.  Pennies?  Sure!  But, I’m more interested in odd items that others would likely consider garbage.  On our recently traveled 2400 mile road trip, we had to stop a number of times (potty breaks are a definite must when traveling with four legged companions) and treasures were keenly discovered in a variety of elevations!  Colored glass fragments, bottle caps (rusty and not), a lock washer (thanks Russ!), black bullet cases, a chain link fence remnant (ya, really) etc, etc. 




After seeing us return from hiking the nearby hills every morning with the dogs during our visit, the dear and delightful Doris bestowed unto me this particular cholla stick she had discovered on a camping trip about 15 years ago in Ajo, Arizona and reconfigured into a walking stick! I loved the shape of it as well as the fact that it is lightweight and flexible!  Desert living is a little foreign to me and the dreaded cholla plant is definitely not native to my area/world/life.  They had carefully sanded all of the spiky needles off and, not wanting the desert sun to disintegrate it, they had covered it heavily with a colored varathane as well. Zeke had been resourceful enough to add a rubber foot to make it perfect for stomping through any type of terrain! What a treasure!!

If you spend any time in the great outdoors, you know that wild animals can lurk behind bushes, trees, tall grasses, big rocks or boulders and the likes.  One way to avoid a possible tangle is by making noise!  Talking &  laughing as you walk along, breathing heavily (hey, you’re hiking, right?)  - that's the type of noise that animals generally tend to avoid.  What if you were hiking by yourself?  I suppose you could talk and laugh aloud with yourself, but most likely that won't be happening?  SO, since I have been known to hike by myself, I decided to add a few trinkets onto it.  Thus the transformation began!

I knew that in order for the unusual texture of the cactus wood to peek through, it needed to be sanded ever so lightly.  I wanted to maintain the original color thus paying homage to the original owners, but this was mine now and I needed to add a different flavor.  Adding the unexpected roadside items from the trip just seemed like the right (and fun) thing to do.

I wrapped the bigger pieces of colored glass with wire (couldn’t find the diamond drill bit) and I drilled a few holes in the cactus legs.  


I had a cherished bracelet that was worn and tarnished but I’ve not been able to give it up yet, so I drilled a couple of holes through that, too.

With heavy gauge fencing wire (nope, not the chain link remnant), I attached the bracelet, wrapped wire glass fragments and my bottle cap/lock nut combo.  



Ta Da!  My new garnished stick!!  
Now when I go on hikes I won’t have to be concerned with making noise... the trinkets clink softly, but loudly enough for an animal to steer clear!

Until we meet again!  Happy Trails to YOU!!

S.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  
Welcome!!  My name is Shelley.  I live in a log house here in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains..  I've been doing some remodeling to my home.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'm photo journaling my adventure!  Thanks for joining me!!