Skip to main content

Plain Jane, the Hero


"I just love those days when I can help other people feel like SuperGirl!"  Maggie announced enthusiastically through the empty paper towel roll that had been saved in the pantry for such performances as this.
"Ya?" Mom said, "tell me about it!" as she busily continued cooking dinner for the soon-to-be arriving others, "and grab me a few carrots out of the fridge, please."
"Do you remember that girl, Jane, from my high school days?" Maggie said as she moved toward the fridge to help out.
"Not sure, hon." Mom said as she was given the carrots and quickly moved to put them in the sink for a quick rinse.
"She was the girl who had it all together, Mom" Maggie said, "she was just always so perfect and self assured."
"Oh.  Okay" Mom said, "so what about her?"
"Three years ago she'd gotten into this unfortunate skiing accident.  Blew out her knee along with tons of other injuries and wound up having, like, a total of twelve surgeries."
"Oh my!" said Mom.  "So, what happened?"
"Well, in between surgeries and during her recuperation time she had slipped into this mild depression and just couldn't seem to pick herself back up.  Eventually her work had to let her go because she was missing  so much time and then", she paused to take a breath, "her mom passed away from pancreatic cancer; that's when she really started to fall apart."
"Goodness gracious, Maggie" Mom said and stopped her peeling and dicing to look at her daughter.
"Well, I held her in such high regard back in those days, and I must admit, for all the wrong reasons,  and to see her walk into my flower shop today was such a complete surprise.  She came in to pick out a bouquet for her sisters new baby and we just started talking."
"When you say she was 'just always so perfect', what do you mean?" Mom asked.
"Oh, you know, her hair was always styled so nice, she wore the cutest clothes and everyone always wanted to be her friend" Maggie said, "but you know what she told me?!" Mom shook her head as she continued, "she told me that she had always just seen herself as a Plain Jane".  Mom remained quiet as Maggie continued, "she said that it wasn't until the accident that she knew who her real friends were, those who actually cared and held her in high esteem.  Those were the friends who didn't care that her hair wasn't perfect.  Those were the friends that giggled with her about wearing the Patient Uniform, the ones who liked her for her, not for her clothes or makeup or whatever.  She said she was still working hard on climbing out of her rehabilitation and even apologized for her appearance.  Do you want to hear what I told her Mom?"  Mom nodded her head and started to smile. "I told her what you had always told me growing up, that I don't have to be perfect, but I have to keep believing in myself and I have to keep trying.  You taught me that, Mom, and it felt so good to lift her up like you had always done for me!"  Pausing and smiling, she looked Mom right in the eye and continued with a knot in her throat, "You know what?  The older I get, the more I realize how much I appreciate and admire you!"
"Awww, honey" Mom said as she dived in to give a big hug.  "You've always been wiser than your years, my dear, I've always been so proud of you, even when you were far from perfect."  As they giggled and went back to slicing and dicing, Maggie said, "it's true!  You don't have to wear a cape to be a hero" to which Mom proudly agreed.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  
Welcome!!  My name is Shelley.  I live in a log house here in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains..  I've been doing some remodeling to my home.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'm photo journaling my adventure!  Thanks for joining me!!