Skip to main content

That Empowering Women Piece

After the market crashed in 2007, my career in interior designer took a nosedive - I had to find a job that would help us survive.  I got into territory management so that I could continue to provide my family with health insurance but eventually tired of constant travel within my multi-state demographic, which is how I came to work for a major worldwide beauty company that would change my life forever.

What I liked most about the advertisement regarding the position was what I read in the job description.  There was an official title, but it was the words "empowering women" that really captured my heart.  I was living in Testosterone World raising my boys (with my ex, who could also be considered a boy) and in need of some sisterly love.  The job was to empower small, independent business owning women to believe that Yes they can!!  My job was to nudge them to be confident, courageous and independent!  I could do that!  But could I?

We live in a tough world.  We live in a world that can be ugly, defeating and deceitful.  We live in a world that expects perfection - and IF you are "not", then I guess you are food for wolves?  Being far from perfect myself, I think that we are what we perceive ourselves to be.  I may not be tall and slender or have the smarts to build a skyscraper or the guts to climb to the top of one, but what I do have (and I have to remind myself of this each and every day) are qualities that perhaps others wish they had?  We certainly ALL have something that sets us apart from our compatriots.  We ALL have at least ONE thing that makes us feel proud... that perhaps we could (maybe?! .. possibly?!) boast about if given the opportunity?  That is what I concentrated on finding out about these individuals that I was hired to work for as I set out into my new world with The Company.

Empowering others to see their strengths is empowering - no other way to say it!  One thing I discovered in my years of empowering was just that; that by believing in others and seeing what they CANNOT see in themselves is an incredible way to recognize something amazing in yourself!  Telling someone they "have what it takes" will permeate into your own blood stream!  It will inject itself into YOU and slowly but surely the miraculous transformation will begin!

So... if you haven't tried it recently or need a nudge to go in a different direction, just remember the famous quote by George Eliot, "it is never too late to be what you might have been"...

Until next time...
S.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's a little bit country. She's a little bit rock 'n' roll

I bought this piece from a guy named Jake. I saw it advertised and loved it, so I called him right away to inquire and we spoke about it for a few minutes.  He owns a bike repair shop in Denver and didn't have the space for it anymore - I texted him the next day and what turned out to be the day after to reiterate my intentions.  I really wanted it, but wasn't able to get up there till later in the week... would he hold it for me?  Turns out I wasn't able to pick it up at all... and a week or two passed.  Fortunately for me, when I texted him again, apologizing for my absence..and, was it still available, he said yes.    I was really attracted to it's Mid-century modern shape.  Jake (a cool, young dude with tattoos, a wild head of hair and a bushy beard) told Russ (who so kindly picked it up for me on his way home from work) that he had "painted it black a few years ago" as they worked together to load it into the truck.  The thing is heavy...

Re- Purposeful

  One of my recent projects has been a new frame for a gorgeous hand painted watercolor I bought when in Yuma for Christmas.  My "Mom" (and friend), the fun and adorable Doris and I did a little shopping and had a blast!  We were just out and about looking for "stuff"... I've been a closet junk shopper for a few decades now...    I guess I first started hunting on my own when I was in my first year at WSU; around that time my friend Jackie introduced me to a gal who lived on her dorm floor.  Her friend Jennifer collected vintage dresses and I recall thinking it was an interesting but odd thing to collect.  I definitely didn't like the idea of wanting a closet full of musty old dresses... but I also remember the pride she had while showing off her marvelous collection.  She told me she found her dresses at thrift stores and Estate sales.  Hmmm! I rem...

The Psychology of the Fast Lane

Our world is taking us on a ride in the fast lane.  Everything is a blur.  We are in such a hurry to get to our destination that we don’t even take the time to look at the passing roadside anymore.  We are in a race to get “there”, but really, where are we heading? A lot of times we get on the road and head right over to that left hand lane, even if we can’t get up to the required speed.  Unknowingly, we slow down those behind us.  It might be the lane that we think we want to be in; the lane we deserve to be in (?) without realizing what is expected while there?  Perhaps those pages in the instruction manual were missing when we were handed the book?  Not sure if life comes with an instruction manual?  We probably didn’t all read the same book anyway? Over time, we learn the rules.  Do we have what it takes?  Would it be easier to avoid it all together?  In general, we are all capable of being there, but we need to kn...