Skip to main content

Re- Purposeful


 
One of my recent projects has been a new frame for a gorgeous hand painted watercolor I bought when in Yuma for Christmas.  My "Mom" (and friend), the fun and adorable Doris and I did a little shopping and had a blast!  We were just out and about looking for "stuff"... I've been a closet junk shopper for a few decades now... 
 
I guess I first started hunting on my own when I was in my first year at WSU; around that time my friend Jackie introduced me to a gal who lived on her dorm floor.  Her friend Jennifer collected vintage dresses and I recall thinking it was an interesting but odd thing to collect.  I definitely didn't like the idea of wanting a closet full of musty old dresses... but I also remember the pride she had while showing off her marvelous collection.  She told me she found her dresses at thrift stores and Estate sales.  Hmmm!

I remember going junk shopping with my Dad when I was a kid.  He would always tell me, "the fun is in the hunt, Shelley".  He grew up in a small town back when television and electronics weren't the entertainment.  He had a forest right out the back fence and he was his entertainment because entertaining oneself was really the only option for entertainment in those days.  lol..  I think he & I actually went to outlet stores... you know, the kind that would have hundreds of rejected consumer products strewn on tables, hanging from racks, sitting on shelves and suspended from rafters... 
 
So when I saw this delightful hand painted watercolor on the junk store shelf, I really just liked the colors - plus, I tend to gravitate toward flowers in art.  It had a skinny, unimpressive, tired old frame.. but those gorgeous, fresh, vibrant colors that Doris had so thoughtfully displayed in her home drew me closer.  Less than 24 hours earlier I had walked into their home for the first time... and what I immediately noticed, were her beautiful collections of all sorts of incredible items in these colors!  She had mentioned she liked blue tones, but I didn't know it was without a doubt her favorite color!! 
 
Last summer a friend was getting ready to get rid of some things and invited me over to take a peek before she donated.  I liked the shape and size of the frame so I grabbed it.  The actual piece of artwork was slimmer than the frame, so that was the "challenge".  We had recently cleaned out the laundry room downstairs and discovered some worn out base molding that made it's way to the garage but not yet the garbage can.  We had a bunch of dowels from this colored bins thing I had bought for the boys years ago (that had eventually found it's way to the garage because we just couldn't make room or proper use for it anywhere in the house).

I had the base molding (old nail holes and all) and dowels cut to fit the rest of the opening, making sure they would frame the artwork.  Then I painted them using complimentary colors.  Everything got assembled with hidden wires and Ta-Da!  it became a beautiful new frame, which gives the watercolor a boost and new life!  Best of all, it turned out to be a pretty addition for the guest bedroom!
 
 
I'll show you the cute dresser and nightstand I painted for this same room next time!!
  Till then!!
Ciao!!

S.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Colorado

My mixed media piece, Copper Colorado, was completed in two separate phases.   My canvas was Phase One.  He came home with this plank that had been considered construction rubbish. When he told me it was a tread from someone's porch steps, I was intrigued. I began to scrutinize it and noticed a smudge of antique copper paint that had been stomped into the grain, but no one had managed to stomp it off over its many years.  I noticed its receded soft grains which moved like canyon rivers and its hard grains became imposing Colorado Mesas above. I was motivated to uncover its textural treasures, and I cleaned it up as if I were an archeologist, so as not to disturb any of its landscape, but rather amplify it as is.  The paint smudge remained and became integral. Phase Two was my realization of the purpose of the plank, which happened three or four years later. I stumbled upon some old battery cables that had big, gnarly terminals, and, more importantly, the copper wires were still sle

In Loving Memory...

I have an "inspiration" binder that I keep on a shelf in my office at home where I’ve collected pictures of things I've found in magazines.  There's a few priceless treasures of artwork that my kids made me tucked in there too.  I only add super special stuff - things that I know I'll love for the long term.   Anyway, we were talking about a project at the house when I suddenly thought of a photo I wanted to share with Russ and brought the binder out.  As I was flipping through these pages of images that I'd saved over a good decade of time,  I found this little quote Mom had sent to me.  I don't know when she sent it, but I had liked it so much.  There it was, this two sentence quote that SHE must have cut out of a magazine.  The words were highlighted in what was now a faded yellow marker and she’d written four little words above it on a hot pink sticky note in her beautiful cursive writing.  A note just for me. Reminding me to believe in myself.  

Unexpected Neighbors - Chapter 1

We got some new neighbors this year.    "This isn't really their hood" I thought as he shooed them away.  The first time was out in the east grove, right when you come around the corner.  They were tucked in toward the house, so passersby on the road may not have noticed, but we did. A few days later they were back, it is Springtime after all.  Not in the exact location, but a few trees over.  Those darn magpies!  The next morning they returned to find chaos instead of their finely woven structure, but they were determined that this was the place - only to be foiled once again. We didn't see them for a few days, but then one morning there they were, out there talking.  How could all of their hard work keep tumbling down?  They hadn't noticed it to be too windy when they'd left the night before?  They hadn't seen any creatures lurking about that would create such havoc! A few mornings later they arrived for yet another visit.   Being very persi